Monday, July 16, 2012

Fatherhood

I really enjoyed writing my fatherhood paper this week. Sometimes the topic of fatherhood strikes a tender cord inside of me, but I learned something very powerful and meaningful. A classmate asked, "Brother Williams, my mom and dad fought all the time while we were growing up, and they said they only stayed together for the kids.. wouldn't we have just been better off if they had just split so we didn't have to be in the middle our whole lives?" Brother Williams answer truly surprised me- No. Statistics say that you are better off because you did have the experience with both of your parents, and I'm guessing you learned some powerful lessons of how you want your family to be different right?  I know what he said is true. No matter how shakey a relationship may seem, it is better than no relationship at all. And for me, writing my fatherhood paper I really came to appreciate my father more fully. I wish some things were different. I wish I had a stronger, more trusting relationship with him, but I don't. BUT writing this paper made me realize that I needed to change some things and I needed to try harder and do better to mend our relationship. I have a great dad who loves me and supports me and I just need to try harder to see that. I am blessed to be in this class and to be able to see areas of weakness so that I can make a much needed change.

No comments:

Post a Comment